Sunday 25 July 2010

A weekend in the Dam


Overgrown bike
Originally uploaded by Gypsy Saskia
Now that I have signed the final extension to my expat contract, I am starting to get used to the idea that this is my last year in the big smoke. 1 July 2011, I am expected back in the Amsterdam office. And with this in mind, my weekend in Amsterdam couldn't have been better. I went straight from Schiphol to Toomler on Thursday night to meet my friends Vicky and Craig and a bunch of their friends, most of whom I knew. Two brill comedians and a good night out. The Amsterdam office on Friday, where I managed to catch up with loads of people who all made me feel so welcome to be back. A barbecue on V&C's rooftop was the perfect end to a very good day. Saturday morning was rediscovering De Pijp with Vic. New coffee places, new sushi bars, new clothes shops. Visiting a friend to meet her one day old bub. Bitterballen and wit bier, a pedi, and dinner with loads of friends in de Jordaan. Sunday was for my oldest friends. And their kids. Another barbie, more wine, and chatting away in the sun.

When I flew back home on Sunday night I couldn't believe how much fun I'd manage to pack into three days. It gave me that happy, relaxed feeling you normally get from a week's hols. No matter how sad I will be to leave London, it makes a difference to know I will be moving back to somewhere good.

No comments: