Tuesday 21 September 2010

Kota Kinabalu, Sabah


Fish on its way
Originally uploaded by Gypsy Saskia

The second destination of my trip. Sabah is the non-independent Malaysian part of Borneo. Famous for its mountain and orangutans. Neither of which I will see. Well, technically I saw two orangutans in the wild park, but the area where you can see them in the wild is too far away. And the famous mountain? Would love to do that another time but I didn't plan enough time here to climb it. Not having done my research, I figured it'd be a day trip rather than an overnighter. So there are two reasons to come back!

Having a brill time still. Malaysia is wonderfully diverse. KK is very different from KL, it's nowhere near as big and not very pretty. However, the street of my hotel is quite nice and the resto's by the shore have a lovely view. The pic in this blog I took at the place where the fishermen's boats dock. Catch of the day was sent to the restaurants it seemed. Next to it, is the most amazing fish market I have ever seen. The fish is so simply but nicely presented and the colours of some of the fish were quite something. Also close by was the night market where the same fish, now grilled, seemed to be on display. I happily snapped along with my camera, after asking permission from all of the fish sellers.

As I did want to see some indigenous wildlife while here, I went to a Wild Life park today. By taxi which seems to be how one gets around here (backpackers who are roughing it excluded). Very few buses and no other public transport. Having lived in the city with the world's most expensive taxis (Amstie), this felt truly weird. Weird but very convenient. The park was very well done. Loads of animals, and loads of space for them. I skillfully avoided the 100 or so school kids most of the time, and had a lovely morning walking around and taking pics. The monkeys and otters kept me entertained for quite some time.

And back in the hotel now after an early dinner. Not quite the Sheraton but at 16 squid a night it's great. Superfriendly staff, a comfy bed and decent shower. Free bottles of water and cups of tea are gratefully accepted. Next door is a supermarket that seems to cater for expats and affluent locals. They even sell King Island , which is an amzing cheese brand from an island near Tassie and not that easy to get even in Australia. Very weird. I embraced my inner Australian by buying Arnott's shapes and a women's magazine but decided to give the cheese a miss. Not very handy when travelling.




No comments: