Wednesday 8 December 2010

Edinburgh


4pm shot
Originally uploaded by Gypsy Saskia
The Brits don't deal with snow very well. And that is an understatement. Fair enough, at some point there was so much of it that I can understand things went a bit pearshaped but seriously....even on day 1 the train network was a complete mess. It took colleagues over 4 hours to commute home. Madness. I was lucky though. Tubes were pretty much running as normal, and when I showed up at the airport for my flight to Edinburgh on Friday, it was one of the few flights taking off from City airport. Without tea and coffee mind you, as the water supplies had frozen. Arctic circumstances in east London. I also managed to fly home as planned on Sunday, only for the snow to shut down Scotland again a few hours later.

So. Edinburgh. What a pretty city, especially in the snow. It was great to see my friend Lyndsay again, whom I hadn't seen since our farewell party in the Dam 2,5 years ago. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much time has passed, you just pick things up again. The snow did mean however, that I could only move slowly and had wet feet all the time. Wellies had pretty much sold out in the entire city. Other than that, it was a great trip. I wandered around for hours, stayed in Saturday evening and watched Strictly and read a book in my comfy B&B room. I like these weekends. It is not just about discovering new places, but the me-time is ever so nice. I could never be a hermit full time, but man, am I good at it occasionally!

No comments: