Sunday 14 June 2009

Spoiled

Yes. Me. Big time. Growing up, eating out was a real treat. Once a year with my grandparents and parents, the occasional big family celebrations my grandparents did, and a few times while on holiday camping. Then student life came. Students are always broke apart for beer and food. I was no exception. A ten guilder steak, salad and chips in De Eerste Kamer was for special occasions, but having pizzas delivered from the Italian resto across the road to the pub where I worked was rather common. A few years into earning a proper salary, eating out became so normal, I sometimes craved simple home cooked food. However, all those meals were still cheap. Nothing fancy, unless for special occasions that were few and far between. My first ever Michelin starred meal was easter last year, at Yamazato. The most expensive meal I'd ever had and man, I was disappointed. It was nothing better than the cheapo Japanese place in the Nine Streets I would often go to. And the service at that place was better too. Michelin schmichelin.

Then London came. Being a big time foodie, I worked out where to go in no time. And London has a ridiculous amount of resto's with stars (34 alone with one star). And many of those have lunch deals. Pretty cheap lunch deals too. Until you add a bottle of Gruner Veltliner between the two of you, as Chantal and I did today. Or say yes to a glass of champaign the waiter offers without asking the price, as a friend here did (it turned out to be a £27 glass). But man, is it worth it. So far I have had lunch at Foliage (mind blowing) and L'Autre Pied (today) and dinner at Hakkasan with my brother. A repeat visit at Foliage and Hakkasan is planned for later this month when my oldest friend comes to visit me (at her request, my friends are good like that!). Whoever says the English can't cook must not have eaten here for a long time. These days, the food in London is fantastic at so many places. And I plan to make as much use of it while I am here as my wallet and waist will let me!!

No comments: