Sunday 18 April 2010

An unexpected weekend



Rent-a-deckchair
Originally uploaded by Gypsy Saskia
What my weekend should have been was afternoon tea with the relo's (including my bro who was over from DC), dinner with old work mates, beers with uni friends, brunch with the girls and a lovely Indonesian dinner with other close friends.

But that was before the vulcano errupted. I was glued to the KLM and City Airport websites but nope... No flights. Gutted. But I was going to make the best of my weekend. And man, it filled up quickly.

A work friend came round for Italian on Friday night with a gift cause I'd had a tough week at work which I thought was incredibly sweet. She hadn't had the easiest of weeks herself so we hit the cocktails and wine pretty nicely. Which didn't seem as great an idea on Saturday arvo, when my gym had organised a zumbathon. Three back to back classes. Hugely tiring but oh my god, it was so much fun. Straight from the gym to Putney Heath, to spend the rest of the arvo in The Green Man's beer garden for a mate's birthday. Pimms and lemonade and ham, egg and chips. If I can't have Dutch beer and food, I might as well go as english as possible.

And today was a me-day. The sun was out, the legs were sore. Off to Regent's Park. I am ashamed to admit that in the almost two years I've been here I had not once visited Regen'ts Park. How bloody stupid. The next friend who's visiting will be dragged there straight away. All the herons, ducks, other watery birdy thingies, tulips, magnolia's, how gorgeous. Everyone seemed happy and smiley, and it was just the most pleasant place to be.

The weekend may have been very different from what I planned, but it was one of the best this year.

No comments: