Sunday 9 May 2010

Chili con carne

As it's pretty much November weatherwise, I decided to make a big bowl of chili con carne today. And it was the best I've ever had. Thanks to Jamie Oliver (basic recipe), mate JC (addition of chocolate) and myself (some changes to recipe). For six portions, here is what you need to do.

Chop two celery stalks, two bell peppers, two onions and two garlic cloves. Simmer in olive oil till soft. Add a tin of chick peas, a tin of kidney beans and two tins of tomatoes. Add 500 grams minced beef. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of cumin (I used garam masala instead as I'd run out of cumin) and a teaspoon of chili powder. Add some fresh chili and chili flakes as well if you like a bit of a bite. And finally add a little balsamic vinegar, some bay leaves, and a square of dark chocolate. Just let it simmer for an hour at least and serve with rice (I used wholegrain basmati) and some yoghurt, a wedge of lime and some coreander. Nom nom nom.

I will have some more tomorrow, as it's supposed to be even better the next day. The rest found its way to the freezer.

No comments: