Monday 31 May 2010

My Tour Des Pays Bas


Beautiful east of NL
Originally uploaded by Gypsy Saskia
As I was spending fewer than 48 hours in the country, I decided to make the absolute most of my trip home this weekend. And I was quite impressed especially by how much one can fit into a single Saturday. By public transport mostly.

From the Amsterdam Transvaalbuurt, I went to Utrecht. Ran a few errands, got Martin Bril's Rokjesdag (he was a famous Dutch columnist who was intrigued by the phenomenon of the first day every year that so many women start wearing skirts - rokjes), ate a very Dutch sandwich and took a train to Apeldoorn. And then Voorst-Empe. Voorst-Empe is on the coolest trainline ever. A one track boemeltje between Apeldoorn and Zutphen. Cute as. Met the parents, drove to my nan who lives there, and had lunch. That was three provinces already. I took the boemeltje to Zutphen, where I changed trains to Arnhem. It's a good thing living in London changes your perception of distance. As long as I have a book on my, I find it totally normal these days to travel for almost an hour to go for dinner or meet a friend. Anyway. Arnhem. I had 1,5 hours spare before meeting a friend and driving to Den Haag with her. It was sunny and I was thirsty (day two of a three day mild hangover), so a drink and walk in Park Sonsbeek seemed the appropriate thing to do. Then Den Haag. Dinner with old work friends, in a lovely French-Asian restaurant in the Prinsenstraat. Fantastic food and a very decent sancerre. Quite late, I left province number five to head back to Amsterdam. Happy and tired.

No comments: