Friday 13 January 2012

Souvenirs

When I first started travelling, I did the proper tourist thing and bought very generic souvenirs. I still have my Zimbabwian wooden giraffe and my Darwin didgeridoo, but most souvenirs are long gone. These days, I hardly bring anything but food home. When I spent two months in Cape Town in '09 I brought home loads of (desert) wine, as well as chilli garlic peri peri from a winery, syruppy balsamic from another winery and some other bits and pieces. In my bagpack here in Mebs sit a kilo of coffee beans (an ideal Melbs souvenir plus I've run out at home and will need coffee pronto on my return), a bottle of white port from a NZ winery and two desert wines from Victorian wineries. Plus some spices and stuff from a Vietnamese shop in Abbotsford. These souvenirs won't last forever but with every flat white and every cheeky glass of desert wine before bed, I will remember my wonderful holiday. And isn't that the purpose of a good souvenir?

No comments: