Thursday 25 December 2008

Bangkok

"My name is Saskia and I have an internet addiction." "You're so brave Saskia." (is that what they say at AA meetings?) Ah well. After two 6 hour flights and very (very!) little sleep, this is a good way to stay awake for another hour or two so jet lag won't kick in too badly. Gatwick was deserted yesterday, even most shops were closed (which is probably not a bad thing considering I have a lot of shopping time in Bangkok and Hong Kong). Flights were fine, and I got to watch Mamma Mia (James Bond can't sing to save his life which makes it all the better, what a fab film), listen to Pete Murray's new album and to Estelle's not so new album. Emirates chucked in The Economsit, InStyle and Hello magazine as well. The new Patricia Cornwell was finished in no time too. Dubai airport wasn't as fab as Abu Dinges (as bro calls it), but the sheiks in their headthingies are a pretty awesome sight, I felt like taking part in a Tin Tin cartoon.

Being the keen traveller that I am, I managed to have five currencies on me but the Baht. Which I didn't discover until I handed the cabby 1000 riel for the highway and he asked if I had any Thai money. Aaaargh. Luggage guy at the hotel was so kind to pay my taxi from his own wallet (and I reimbursed him of course). Saved me a 20m walk to an ATM which the cabby and luggage dude decided was no option. Cabby was the sweetiest guy who spoke very little english and seemed utterly unimpressed by my Thai (after six visits I can still only say hello and thank you). Thought it was pretty cute he kept referring to NYE as Happy New Year. Apparently the place goes off on that night. Cannot wait to celebrate with Scott and Anso.

1 comment:

Rhubarb said...

Have fun! Hello to Scott and Anso for us from Seattle!