Wednesday 7 October 2009

Cape Town

My job can be a weird one. On Monday morning I interviewed with our Southafrican client (from Mary's place in the Dam, on 5 hours sleep and no coffee) and on Tuesday night I was on a plane to Cape Town. After having effed up the dry run interview, my directors were really worried but the one that counted went well. Maybe I should deprive myself of coffee more often....

So.... BA business class. Nice. My own little pod with loads of privacy and a flat bed. Two of us weren't so lucky: they were bumped down to Economy. Thank god I wasn't as we got in at 8am and were in the office by nine. At least I had rested well.

In the office, I introduced myself to a Southafrican colleague by first name only. A lady standing next to me turns around and says "Saskia? I believe you know my husband". I gave her a puzzled stare. She was right though, I do know her husband, who I met when working in Amsterdam. How on earth she put one and one together that quickly this morning? Beats me. Very funny though.

We had a solid day of work both in the office and on site. Good team, good energy. I ended up being team leader despite being the most junior on the team. Feel flattered, but it will be challenging. Irish sr mngr and I instantly bonded at Heathrow over a mutual love of gin tonic (that wasn't available in the lounge) and quickly polished off a bottle of Syrah over dinner just now. Oh, the Irish...

More updates soon. Time for a decent sleep first!

No comments: