Tuesday 16 September 2008

Thames Festival


What it was exactly, I wasn't sure, but I decided to go to the Thames Festival nonetheless. On day three of a four day hangover* (caused by impromptu drinks with colleague on Thursday, planned drinks with colleagues on Friday and visit of an Australian friend on Saturday...Monday was to be day four), I decided to be good and go to aerobics in the morning (still suffering from the previous arvo's pilates), and headed to the Southbank of the river afterwards.

Four hours later, I still didn't know what the Festival was. Food and drinks, that's for sure. Loads of foodstalls selling jerk chicken, sushi, curries, wraps and what have you. Some living statues and some jazz music. Jewelry and bags for sale. A rowing competition in old vessels (won by old men, I might add). The whole concept of the Festival never became clear. But who cares? It was warm, sunny and bright, I had my camera with me, and I had dinner and a boat trip to look forward to.

The free boat trip was organised by the Chiswick council (west London). I stumbled upon it online and booked it for my friend Chantal and me. We caught up over a quick bobotie-dinner and headed for the boat. Interesting commentary, interesting gin tonics and good company. Hadn't seen the city from the water before, let alone my office. We docked close to the London Eye to watch the Thames Festival (whatever that may be) fireworks. Loads of oohs and aahs. God, I love fireworks. Shortly before midnight I went to bed, to wake up to day four of my hangover the next day. The day described below. Probably for the best the head was a bit hazy.

* these days caused by five drinks only, I am either lacking practice or getting old. God forbid it's the latter.

No comments: