Sunday 6 December 2009

I heart road trips


I heart road trips
Originally uploaded by Gypsy Saskia
My writing these days is about little more than food and booze. And although the title of this entry suggests otherwise....it was a wine and food road trip.

What is said to be the best resto in Africa, is in Franschhoek. Ages ago, some of my colleagues and I decided to go here once during our stint in Cape Town. We had decided on the 5th of December. I made the booking, found a guesthouse and off we went.

More wine tasting on the way in first. Simonsig this time, a lovely winery in Stellenbosch. We had lunch, drove to the Guesthouse and sobered up. Deckchairs by the pool, surrounded by roses and vegetable patches. An amazing place, run by a well travelled Dutch couple. We polished off a bottle of Simonsig Viognier when it was that time of the day, and off we went to Le Quartier Francais.

And wow. A nice non snobbish atmosphere. Friendly and incredibly accomodating staff, and all four of us ordering the seven course tasting menu. With wine (apart from the size 4 Vietnamese Aussie chick who would kill herself drinking that much). We swapped the foie gras for scallops or duck, and two of us the orange buttermilk desert for amarula panna cotta. No problem what soever, we could make all the changes we liked. Amazing flavours, very nice wines to go with it. The most expensive meal I have ever had in my life, but man, was it worth it. The dickhead at the table next to us would not agree though: he hadn't liked his dessert and told the waitress it was revolting, in the rudest, unfriendliest way. Heated argument between him and the GF followed. I almost turned around and informed him of the existence of the phrase 'not to my liking' but thought the better of it. We paid and walked back to the guesthouse. With happy tummies.

No comments: