Thursday 23 October 2008

Commonwealth Club

Clubs are not something I am used to so much. Or rather, clubs in Amsterdam are rather different from clubs in the English sense. The Amsterdam ones tend to be called Club Prive or Club Ramona or something. The only two proper clubs I can think of are De Industrieele Club and De Kring, and as I am neither a top business/government exec nor an artist, I haven't been to either.

London is full of clubs, and one of them is the Commonwealth Club. My mate Zoe works for the Royal Commonwealth Society, who run the club, and use the profits for their charity work. Last night we met at the Club for dinner. Nice food, a beautiful restaurant, and a beautiful location: Northumberland Avenue. As I mentioned to Zoe, I will be more than happy to sponsor the charity more often by eating in this lovely place!

On the topic of Commonwealth countries: try and come up with all 53. We didn't get any further than 40. Way too many tiny islands in there!

No comments: