Thursday 10 July 2008

In the office

When I had my interview with the partner in February, his PA collected me from the reception area with a large fruit basked in her hands. ' Is anyone ill?', I asked. But now, the UK firm gets daily fruit baskets for its staff so we stay happy and healthy. And as today was quiet, I feasted on a pear, banana and plum. There are also four gyms that offer corporate memberships for us, and there is support for our mental health too, by means of a coaching line or something.

The rest is good too. People are fun and friendly and have the cricket scores running in the background of whatever they are doing. The handsome director is leaving the UK for somewhere exotic and the funny-as-hell ginger guy is off to Australia soon. But plenty of nice people left. The partner walks around the floor and jokes, and seems as nice and human as the one at home.

Next step is to get myself on a project. So I show my nicest smile, talk to as many people as possible, and try to market myself well. Not tomorrow though. Tomorrow I am meeting a French colleague who needs some help, have my tax briefing by an Aussie woman with a Dutch name, and will meet a Dutch colleague who is in London for the weekend with his GF. After work drinks in Dutch tomorrow!

No comments: