Monday 5 January 2009

Hong Kong

Day three. What a crazy city. So much to see and do. Went to the Peak on Saturday, from where you have an amazing view of the city, and there is a nice walk around. Loads of expats walking their dogs and loads of joggers. My brekkies so far have been in Soho, a bit like its namesake in London. Once my library internet slot is gone (seriously, I haven't seen a single internet cafe in this place, surely they must exist, but well hidden), will head there again for some nice bread rolls at the Real Bread Cafe.

My hotel is in the west of Hong Kong Island, I am pretty much the only white person around there. Great for seeing proper Hong Kong life, not so great for food. If you're not a bit meat eater like myself, there is very little choice. They just don't do vegetarian and after some very dodgy fatty chicken dishes I have resorted to the golden arches or two minute noodles from the 7-11.

Yesterday was a gorgeous day and I headed off to one of the nearby islands: Lamma. The Schiermonikoog of Hong Kong (as in: no cars and many weekenders). Loads of photograping, 1.5 hour of walking and some well deserved chocolate ice cream at the pier waiting for the next ferry to HK Island.

My nights are spent reading and watching BBC World. Hong Kong doesn't seem to have a great backpacker / solo traveller scene, but I quite enjoy the tranquility of my hotel room at night. And with a view of the harbour from the 12th floor, that is not such a bad place to be.

I am amazed at how expensive Hong Kong is. Camera equipment, clothes, food, it is all so incredibly expensive! Had the pound not taken a nosedive in the last few months it may have been ok, but now....shocking. Only public transport is cheap. Ah well, for eight days it's all right. Just no shopping! That wide angle lense I had my eyes on will have to wait till I am back in London.

No comments: